Cherubim Delights

This weekend I thought I'd try to make some meringue cookies. Meringue cookies are called suspiros or "sighs" in Portuguese. Reason is, supposedly you can not eat a meringue cookie without sighing with delight :)

The recipe itself is really easy. The main ingredients are egg whites and confectioner's sugar. You beat the egg whites and sugar until they peak. At the end you add a little lime zest for a little flavor. 

A nice tip I learned is to add a tablespoon of vinegar to every 3 egg whites used. This takes place of the tartar sauce some recipes ask. It helps the egg whites beat a little fluffier and lighter.

So, here's the end result of my Saturday night recipe adventure. 







They look good, don't they? 

My husband thinks they taste like marshmallows. I think they taste like yummy goodness =) 

One thing to keep in mind: Meringue cookies are NOT a fan of humidity!! They need to be really dry, so it's best to cook them on days that are not really humid. 

I left the meringue cookies out during the day, and low and behold, after a Houston day's humidity they felt sticky and gooey - sticky marshmallows... 

I think they still are delicious and would be a great addition to ice-cream or pie. 

Our next dessert adventure for the weekend was cooking muffins on Sunday morning. These were just muffins from the box - yet they taste really delicious.



I was never a really big fan of muffins.  But these were really good. Apparently, you eat them with butter! It was great to have some fresh muffins, with butter, in the morning for breakfast. 

So now the house is filled with sugary delights and it's wonderful. 

xoxo 
Calu

No comments:

You Might Also Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails