Ornament Making Part I

I always grew up with "themed" Christmas trees. Each year, my mom would have a new theme: a white Christmas, a wild west Christmas, a pink Christmas, etc... While I think having a theme for Christmas decorations is great and very pretty, when Jeremy and I were getting ready for our first Christmas together we decided we wanted to just create a theme of our own memories.

We want to have ornaments that reflect our lives and our history and we want to build up our ornament collection so that one day each ornament we have has a personal meaning to us.  So this particular weekend, we got busy with ornament making! =)

My first project was making a ornament that reflected the fact that I play the piano. So I chose to make a Clave de Sol  - no idea how to say it in English, but that's what it looks like. I first practiced drawing it on cardboard to get the shape and size correctly and how I wanted it. I cut that up and transferred the profile onto a foamboard. The foamboard is much better than a corrugated cardboard. It is solid and much easier to cut.



After cutting around the profile, I covered one side at a time with glue and glued on a cutout of sheet music I had at the house. After it dried, I put glue around the edges and covered it with glitter. We then made a "1" the same way to represent our one year wedding anniversary, which Jeremy and I just celebrated this past weekend :)  We used our wedding dinner menu, and it turned out really great I think. You can even see our wedding date on the bottom of the "1" which was totally not planned, but I love that it came out that way.



Here you can see the ornaments hanging on our tree.





No comments:

You Might Also Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails