Ornament Making Part II

Another idea I got from the wonderful Martha Stewart was to make Christmas ornaments out of old greeting cards. Every year, I save the greeting cards we receive during Christmas in a file folder I keep in our filing cabinet. So this was a perfect idea because I knew we had plenty of cards.

First, I selected the greeting cards I thought would make the best ornaments. I chose the ones with lots of color and glitter. Then, following Martha's directions I traced circles onto the back of the greeting cards (I improvised and used the top of a candle jar to trace the circles). After that, I drew a triangle onto cardboard, cut it out and traced the triangle inside the circle, centered as much as possible.





I cut out the circles and folded along the edges of the triangles. Once you are done cutting and folding, you simply glue the folded edges together making two halves of an ornament. It took me four circles to make each half. You then glue the bottom and top folded edges of halves together to make one ornament! =) I pierced a hole on the top and ran a piece of ribbon through and tied the edges in a knot.  In total, I traced 16 circles. Each ornament used 8 circle cutouts, so I had a total of 2 ornaments finished. Also, if you want your ornaments to look more round, use 5 circle cutouts for each half.



This was a super simple and easy project and I think the ornaments turned out great! It's personal and you get to use all those greeting cards you accumulate over the years.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. We are obviously two peas in a pod with our matching header & background! Too funny!

You Might Also Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails